Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Monday, August 20, 2007

On Friday, we had yet another meeting about finance. These are always a bit heated and I am usually the bad guy. I am constantly under pressure and in a continual sense of internal dilemma. You see, I have been very strict with allowances, one of the main issues Africa will need to address if it’s move away from its state of dependency and become self sustaining and supporting. Yet I can see that people are struggling because of the many commitments, especially those related to the living costs and school fees for children and additional dependents. There is not one Zambian person living within the Mission who does not have at least one of their family members children living them – some have up to 8 dependent / orphaned children, largely due to the death of their parents through HIV/AIDS. It’s a hard one to deal with and one which makes me feel bad but I know if this Hospital is to survive then these are the tough decisions that need to be made.

Anyway, the figures speak for themselves. Once you calculate the grants we receive from the Government (if they actually come) and the income we generate from other sources, it seems that between now and the end of year, Chikankata Health Services has to find or raise another 222 million kwacha (approximately ₤25,000 or $50,000). This is without the debt servicing that is still a continual burden for the hospital. I really have no clue how we are going to do it!

Then, this morning I read the bible passage from Luke 9 v 1-6 where Jesus sends out the 12 disciples to preach the gospel and heal the sick. He told to go with “no staff, no bag, no bread, no money”. They were weaned off their dependency on Jesus and the protection and comfort this offered and they learned to live trusting a God who could multiply loaves. I am learning so much but I also need to learn to trust more in the same God and pray that although he we have little he will continue to provide and multiply the little we have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Hello Richard and Heidie,
It is so good to hear your updates on your blog....was looking to see if your baby had arrived yet, I can't remember when your due date is? I continue to pray for you and the work there in Chikankata, very much missing all of you that we got to know during our time there in May. I wonder if the painting got done in the Men's dorm at NTS?
I have left Trinity Western University now and my new e-mail address is: lengshar@gmail.com if you are able to let me know how you are...please extend my congratulations and best wishes to Mrs. Kalichi on her success in ascending into her status as cheiftainess....she impressed me with what a gracious and compassionate woman she is! Also, would you pass on my greetings to Katherine and Annette as well. I hope to send some pictures to the Paediatrics ward that we took of children who were there when we were...so many good memories from our short time with you all.
I will be praying about the finance challenges...did you finally get caught up from March on for the grants owing from the government?
Remembering You!
Sharon Leng

7:30 pm

 
Blogger Diana Z said...

Dear Richard,
Have enjoyed reading some of your Blog. Husband, John, and I spent 4 years in Lusaka and 15months at Chik - He was Tech. Director, kept the electricity working, mostly, the water running, the compound tidy, not quite as good at keeping vehicles on the road! Received a request to especially pray for the Mission recently, and will certainly continue to do so. I noticed in your blog such names as Trevor Kaile, dear Ellie Kalichi and Angela Hacitapika. Please pass on our love and good wishes. Can I email those folk directly?
God's blessing on you and Heidie, and on the arrival of the little one.
Sincerely,
Diana Zilm

11:58 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring