Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sacrifice - Not Really!

This week I was feeling a little bit sorry for myself. On Sunday we will miss the dedication of our godson, Joshua. Knowing that many of our friends will be joined together and we should really be there, I feel I am missing out again. Just as I have missed out on my sisters 30th birthday, my dad's 60th birthday, Cindy and Martin's wedding, birth's of friends children, St. Mirren's promotion to the SPL and we could go and on and on. I was also sad that our family have missed out on so much of this special time with Heidie's pregnancy. I was upset. I admit I started thinking about some of the sacrifies I have made and asking whether it was worth it and then I read the words of David Livingstone;
"People talk of the sacrifice I have made in spending so much of my life in Africa. Can that be called a sacrifice which is simply acknowledging a great debt we owe to our God, which we can never repay? Is that a sacrifice which brings its own reward in healthful activity, the consciousness of doing good, peace of mind, and a bright hope of a glorious destiny? It is emphatically no sacrifice. Rather it is a privilege.
Anxiety, sickness, suffering, danger, foregoing the common conveniences of this life--these may make us pause, and cause the spirit to waver, and the soul to sink; but let this only be for a moment. All these are nothing compared with the glory which shall later be revealed in and through us. I never made a sacrifice. Of this we ought not to talk, when we remember the great sacrifice which He made who left His Father's throne on high to give Himself for us."
So that was me put in my place and reminded that the debt we owe is far greater than the sacrifices we make. And besides, me mate Dave (Livingstone) was able to speak these words after enduring and living through great hardships that we can't even begin to imagine. I was reminded that our calling to seek justice and mercy with those in poverty and in greatest need, while at the same time tell them about Christ is a real privilige that has been afforded to us. And indeed it is!


6 Comments:

Blogger shunter said...

lets face it ginger, St Mirren in the SPL or Zambia...get a grip. UR team are pants.

Also have a word with the girl she seems to be turning into a bloater.

take care ugly boy. Love to Heidie.

6:08 pm

 
Blogger John said...

Richard, you will get your rewards in Heaven, then again if you were a Rangers supporter... :)

Be encouraged!
GBYAY

4:51 am

 
Blogger Gordon said...

Rich

If it was any consolation the dedication was today (saturday!)- so there you go!!

10:48 pm

 
Blogger Rochelle said...

Thanks for this - an amazing reminder. Heidie - you look beautiful!!!!!

4:28 pm

 
Blogger The Smiths said...

Blimey - Heidie needs to lay off the pies - she's getting a right bloater!

I'm sure she'll be alright after The Fonz is born though!

Take care

G

PS Shame about the saints yesterday, can't help thinking that Motherwell at home is the sort of game they should be winning. 6 days until the blues KO v Orient at The Hall

12:25 pm

 
Blogger Nightvid said...

The afterlife is not real and we all know it. The reason that rescuing a child from raging flood waters is a kind and loving act to them is that if they died they would lose their whole life and not gain anything. If the afterlife really existed the most loving thing to do would be nothing. The reason that we do anything to delay mortality is that we all know that death is real and final. We would be better off if the 'acceptable superstition' and associated cognitive dissociation ended. I am glad to hear about your efforts to help the less fortunate, but I would encourage you to stop taking advantage of them to spread institutionalized delusions (I presume Christianity in your case) which do not respect free thoughts that come to conclusions other than those of the institution. Any belief system based on fear and forced cognitive dissonance by nature suppresses free and rational thinking and is tremendously dehumanizing.

10:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring