Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Well it's been quite a couple of weeks.
Firstly we had a group of young people here from Lurgan in the UK. We enjoyed their company immensely and hopefully they benefitted from their experiences here at Chikankata. We have a hard job over the last two years convincing people that Mission Team visits are not always about doing stuff. Some groups have got it, others haven't. This one did. Sometimes its ok just being with people. Like playing football with people, like visiting them, like sharing with them and like praying with them. I had a few conversations about how its important that when people visit we don't just come with the intention of just 'doing unto' but it is far more valuable to be with people. The old Salvation Army and colonial spirit is sometimes hard to break down. The craic with the Irish was also great and we had some real enjoyable and moving moments.
Sadly, I missed their departure as I spent one night sampling the services and medical care we provide in Chikankata Hospital before being transferred to Lusaka to another hospital for two nights. I had a problem with muscle spasms in my esophogus and this meant I wasn't able to swallow anything, not even the pills and was rushed (in a Zambian way) to Hospital. I got a huge lecture from a scary Bulgarian doctor in Lusaka about stress and making sure I ate my food properly. I sat with my head bowed as the whole ward could hear. I was cannulated for the first time, receiving 5 days worth of IV anti-biotics and some night time sedation which meant great nights sleep.
This was my first experience of staying overnight in hospital in my life. Most people around the village thought I had been either bewitched or poisoned and I had a few offers of witchdoctors, which I politely declined. Safe to say, that if I was bewitched - which I have come to the conclusion is a serious psychological condition which people do not pay enough attention to (file under "don't get me started on that" - then the power of medication and prayer is stronger as I feel great now. We were really touched by people's concern and on Saturday we received some very special visits from the Chieftainess, the Headman from Chikankata and Kooma village and The Widows Club, who came and sang to us in our living room. It was a very special day for us.
Back to work now and I have been sent an e-mail which had this quote on it -
"I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either!"
It's how I feel alot of the time but we feel that that light at end of tunnel is getting nearer and just a few more obstacles to over come, including an external audit on all our account next month. The first full audit in nearly 10 years. That will be interesting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring