Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

OO OO Quick ... it's working.

It appears that for our system is now allowing me to upload photos for a short while. So I am striking while the iron is hot (ouch!) and posting a few pictures from recent days.
Here is Ronaldo, our dog. She is fantastic and a real puppy. Fortunately house trained after about one month. Unfortunately she has taken a liking to shoes and so Heidie's new shoes that she had been waiting for for about 6 months, were ruined just about 3 weeks. However she just looks at you and she is quickly forgiven. Ronaldo is probably the most popular dog in the whole mission. People have stopped coming to see us and started coming to see Ronaldo.



Then there's Heidie. The man who comes and sorts out our garden (and kills the snakes!) had a baby and he named it Heidie. There's two of them - here's hoping junior is not quite so crazy. My Heidie was obviously delighted and here are the two Heidie's together (you can just about make out the baby's hat) along with proud mother and grandmother outside their house in Nanzele.

Incidentally when we visited their house we couldn't help but noticing that the house is completely wallpapered with magazines namely Salvationist, When Saturday Comes and some Danish women's magazine, all of which are delivered us on a regular basis. We had thrown them out and they have been recycled. We were sitting eating our maize looking at a picture of Commissioner Matear. It was all a bit bizarre.
So below are two of my favourite picture on our visit to Cape Town with my family. What a great time and a great place. I really hope that I will be able to go back one day. We loved the place and of course it was made all the better by meeting up with my mum and dad and my little sister. These two pictures are taken on the way to Cape of Good Hope at Boulders Bay. Clare with the Penguin (she's the one at the back....)


And the biggest rock head of them all............


That's my dad's big boulder blending in beautifully.
We have had some hard times at Chikankata but we have some great times too and have been so blessed in so many ways. We have met people we have been so fortunate to meet both around Chikankata and visitors. We have visited places we never dreamed we would see. We have had experiences with people where have felt so privileged and humble. We wouldn't have missed this experience for the world! And whatever happens from here, it's still been worth it!


5 Comments:

Blogger Henrik Andersen said...

Are you saying you have a wife and a dog who are crazy about shoes? Poor man!

It is so great to read about your life and ministry - undoubtedly God has placed you exactly where he wanted you.

11:48 am

 
Blogger John said...

Richard, great to hear from another Scotsman! Thanks for dropping by and leaving an encouraging comment, it's much appreciated. I will add you to my blogroll and pray for you every day.

Be encouraged!
God Bless You And Yours.

12:50 pm

 
Blogger Ricardo Walters said...

Hey! How'd your sister get that close to the penguins?? (I really should have thought of something more meaningful to say, but I'm in shock.)

Nice puppy. :)

6:55 pm

 
Blogger Clarebear said...

Ronaldo looks so like Scrappy Doo - you know, Scooby Doo's cousin? Bless her! I don't think I've quite forgiven her yet for nearly ruining my sandals.

I love that pic of dad so much.

The picture of me - well it reminds me of the penguin bit in Mary Poppins which is very suitable because like Mary Poppins, I am practically perfect in everyway!
miss you loads. love you lots. cx

11:09 pm

 
Blogger jsi said...

Hi I'm Jessie. I read your posts all the time and pray for you as you describe your ministry. It is exciting to have a name sake.
God is blessing your wok and your touch in a place which needs exactly what you have to offer. Continue to hold onto God's hand through the days He has planned for you
Jessie

2:22 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring