Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

I haven’t blogged for a while. That has been for two reasons;

1) My parents have been here and we have been to beautiful Cape Town for a few days. What a great place and I can highly recommend a visit if you haven’t been there before

2) We have been having a few struggles at the Hospital and I didn’t want these pages to turn into a "whinge fest".

We arrived back from Cape Town on Monday, which if I haven’t said already is beautiful, and Tuesday morning at 6.30 am there was a knock on the door. The situation that transpired was reported in all the newspapers the following day and I am now quoting excerpts from the front page of The Times of Zambia;

“A thirty year old man of Mabwetuba village alledgedy axed his wife to death and Monday night, Chikankata MP, Munji Habeenzu has confirmed…….

Mr Hanbeenzu said the man was on the run from Monday until Tuesday night when Security Guards from the Mwenda Royal Establishment apprehended him and took him to Chikankata Hospital.

Early yesterday, scores of villagers gathered outside the hospital wanting to mete out instant justice but the Hospital Administrator later whisked the man to the safety of Mazabuka Police Station, where he was detained.”

All in a days work!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ricardo Walters said...

Okay, Richard....two comments:

1) An axe-murderer? No way! Never a dull moment. That's insane. Literally, I guess.

2) You were in Cape Town...and didn't let me know?? That's just wrong. Perhaps equally insane.

1:23 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that I've been to Chikankata I know that "whisked" and Chikankata just don't go together!

7:16 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring