Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

In the words of my sister - I'm so excited I can hardly breathe.


Today I am posting from my house! How amazing is that! VERY! This week we have had the wireless internet installed and 4 of us can use the internet and e-mail system from our homes. Less than a year ago we had no phone, no mobile connection, no e-mail and no internet and now we have all of them. It's so amazing! OK it's a little bit slow (about the same speed as dial-up), but what do I care - the main thing is its working. Big it up for my IT man - Kennedy Nakaanga. As you can see me and some my friends - we're happy.

Also this week I am installing an old hot water tank into the house. That's right, I can get wireless internet in my house but I can't get any water. I seemed to have given up showering for Lent, albeit not through choice! Anyway we shall see how it goes

3 Comments:

Blogger Clarebear said...

I am so excited I can hardly breathe! I can't wait! That means I can continue my blogging when I come out to see you in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!! I'm so excited I may stop breathing or I might wet myself - haven't quite made up my mind about that one yet!

laters
cx

12:59 am

 
Blogger Lizzy Elsey said...

Hello! You don't know me but i thought I'd leave you a comment. I read your blog often and it always makes me cry! I came to Chik 3 years ago (nearly to the day) as a medical student for my elective and fell in love it (and hated it at the same time- i totally understand the love-hate relationship!). I'm now a doc applying for surgical training jobs and my hubby is a cadet entering his 2nd year as a distance learner. I think of you all often and pray for you all too. Just thought I'd let you know you're prayed for and supported from afar by complete strangers! Keep up the (exceptionally) good work. Love to Rach, Kennedy and baby Joshua. Lizzy Elsey

4:47 pm

 
Blogger Ricardo Walters said...

Hey, Rich!

Congrats on the Wi-Fi! Great to read of developments at Chik in this way.

Hope to hear from you guys, and maybe get to see you, soon. Regards to Heidi!

Ciao,
Ricardo

10:52 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring