Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Here's a funny thing....
Since coming back from my holiday, I've realised how attached I've become to this place and how much I love Chikankata. There is absolutely no place in the world I have ever visited that can compare to Chikankata. I try to describe all about life and stuff in this blog and various other articles but I've come to the realisation that unless you have lived here or visited for some time it's impossible to fully understand what it's all about - it's just indescribable. WHAT A PLACE!
Anyway, I am typing from the Intercontinental Hotel in Lusaka and listening to Radio 2 (really miss the radio) on my laptop using wireless internet. This weekend break is a Christmas present from one of my best friends, Kevin FH. It's all been VERY exciting. I have taken the advice of many people and decided to get away from Chikankata once in a while, where possible. And good advice it was too! It's even better when someone else is paying!
This week has been an extremely busy week but a good week. We have been inspected by TEVETA and Ministry of Health for the Lab School (or College of Biomedical Sciences to be precise). This was an extrmely extensive process but we survived. We have managed to completely renovate the old Lab Hostel, decorate and kit out a new classroom and start construction of a teaching Lab, all within four weeks. Good effort! My main builder Grant Nanzele is a great guy and did a very good job. We were all running around like mad men on Tuesday and Wednesday trying to get everything finished and organised. It was like one of these tv DIY shows with all the deadlines. Big it up for Grant! On the whole the inspection went really well, permission was granted to open (subject to one or two documents being written), a commitment to funding was tentativelty given by MoH and we should be on course to open next month.
We also had a Performance Assessment for the Provincial Health Office, which went extremely well too. There were points for improvement but they were happy with what they found. Our Level 2 status was confirmed and a real unexpected bonus of this was an improved grant for the running of the Hospital. Also received good news that money has been given to build two new houses. Accommodation has become a real programme.
Yesterday whilst in Lusaka we went to the cinema and saw The Last King of Scotland, which has just opened in Lusaka. I am still mulling this film over in my mind but it was great to get to see the film and the cinema was surprisingly ok.
Finally a big pat on the back for my little sis Clare who officially became a Candidate this week. She is due to enter The Salvation Army Training College in September and we are all very proud of her. Well done Cando Bradbury!

3 Comments:

Blogger Clarebear said...

hey! Firstly I'd like to say that I'm very glad you are settling down nicely in Chik. But I'd also like to say that I selfishly don't want you to get too settled because I want you back home!

Secondly, I think I deserve a greater degree of respect from you as I am now - as you call it - Cando Bradbury!

And thirdly, just wanted to remind both you and Heidie that I love you and I miss you.
cx

7:33 pm

 
Blogger jsi said...

It is striking to finally hear the inner 'click' within your life and find that the one place you have been truly searching for - home - is right before your eyes.
Praise God for His unspeakable gift within our lives - Emmanuel, God (at home) with us!

6:50 pm

 
Blogger nick said...

Unfortunately (as the father of an 'African Sunset' son!) I'm not sure I can watch the Last King film - I've heard that the 'King' is rather disparaging about a certain hair colouring endemic in God's own land (particularly the Shetlands from experience!)

1:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring