Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

COME ON THE BLUES!

Today is a big day for Southend United FC. Southend are my favourite English team, St Mirren are my Scottish team and favourite team overall (by Richard aged 7). Tonight the Southend entertain the mighty Manchester United, managed by former Saints manager, Sir Alex Ferguson (we sacked him!). You can rest assured the Zambian Shrimpers (see picture) will be supporting from afar especially as the game is being shown live on Zambian TV. How excited am I?! Garry has the 'official' Zambian Shrimpers flag, which will be displayed on the top deck of the stand housing the home fans, behind the goal, near the corner flag, next to Basildon Shrimpers flag, not far from the pie stand, where we used to sit.

Incidentally, I once went to the same pie stand at Southend 10 minutes before kick off the get my usual pie and bovril, only to be told they had already sold out of pies. I asked them how many pies they had brought in for the game. The answer : SIX! Six pies! Anyway Southend have come along way since those Division 2 days are now in the Championship, albeit bottom of the league.

One of the things I absolutely missed most about being away from home is going to the football. Miss it, miss it miss it! My tickets for the Southend Birmingham game and Rangers St. Mirren game during our holiday are booked. In the meantime, I'll certainly make do with cheering Southend on from afar tonight. Here's hoping there's electricity.

COME ON THE BLUES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring