Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tomorrow sees the residents of my village, Chikankata go to the polls for national and local elections. Zambia normally conducts its elections in a relatively peaceful manner although there is a real tension in the air. Last Thursday Heidie was in Lusaka and got saw the final stages of a widespread riot, which involved burnt buildings and much looting, but she managed to pass through unscathed. This is just one of the more tangible events that I have not been impressed about about the whole election thing. There are a few other things but best not to mention them.
What I am impressed about is how serious the Zambia people view the right to vote. The government has made the day a public holiday and people are travelling long distances and expecting to queue for hours in order to place the X on the ballot paper. I have been well and truly shamed over my poor attitude to voting in the past (although I still maintain that there's nobody much worth voting for in the UK - would I queue for four hours to vote for some numptyheid? I think not).
As well as my bovine friends, I have been having a running battle with the election campaigners. As the risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew, I don't think it is acceptable to be running through the hospital grounds with a loud speaker. I have been warned by my colleagues on many occassions about approaching these groups but I am still here to tell the tale.
I will let you know how it all goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring