Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Monday, August 28, 2006

RANSOMED!!

So today, I took three cows hostage, locking them up in the block yard and only releasing them when a small ransom has been paid. Fed up of having cows roaming around the hospital grounds and my garden, I took drastic action.
On Saturday, I came home and found 5 cows in my garden. As I was chasing them out with the broom, 4 of the 5 did whoopsies, number twos, plop plops, jobbies (whatever you want to call them!) in my garden. So today I locked up 3 cows. Of course, the owner was not best pleased but I don't care. Lessopn 1: Poop in my garden and that's what happens. Be warned!
However the Headmen for Chikankata and Kooma village, who incidentally congratulated me on my cow-kidnapping, were telling about a previous Administrator from the 1990's, Major Young, who used to keep a spear in his house and if he found any stray cattle in the hospital grounds, he used to spear them. He would then hand them into the hospital kitchen and the patients would enjoy a nice beef stew! So when the guy came to pick his cattle up in the afternoon, I was telling him he was lucky to be paying on K10,000 (about 1.50 pounds) for there release!
You'll be pleased to know all cows were released without harm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring