Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

HECTOR THE DIRECTOR

So the ZIM Team have arrived from Canada on Sunday. They are group of people, varying ages and backgrounds, who are here for 3 weeks. They plan to help us build a few structures but I don't mind admitting, I am now nervous (see picture). The walls have certainly come tumblin' down and here's hoping they go tumblin' back up very soon. In particular I need the Seminar Centre completed in the three weeks as the two days after the team leave we have a group arriving using the facilities. I have really enoyed meeting these guys, especially John and Rochelle who are from Canada but working in Harare. I was reminded by Rochelle about miracles - Chikankata needs a few of them (especially where finances are concerned!) but I am beginning to believe it could happen.
Now to my friends, me being a co-foreman on building site probably raises a few cackles (I have caring hands!) but I have been at thick of it and loving every minute of it! I have to admit that how things are this week is how imagined it would be at Chikankata before I came here. I am enjoying not being so serious all the time. Today, I have ordered 40 toilets and sinks, 50 door frames, picked up 1500 bricks and 150 bags of cement and so on. I reckon that I could build my own house now (no laughing at the back please!)
As I speak, there are close to 600 people standing outside my office, watching a film about the Big Man which is being projected onto the side of a building in the dark. Jesus was bi-lingual and tonight he is speaking Tonga (literally and, I guess, metaphorically).
So far this week is a good week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

You don't have to worry - the ZIM team will have your buildings back up in no time!!! I'm been there and have helped with it myself!! Wish I were there to help!

11:58 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring