Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Thursday, June 15, 2006


VALUING THE CHALLENGES at CHIKANKATA

Sometimes it’s easier to concentrate on the problem areas rather than emphasize the good things. Major Chick Yuill speaks of how, in the Salvation Army, we often have come to “talk defeat” about our church. On many occasions I have been distracted in my service and life because of the problems faced at Chikankata. I have tried hard not to think negatively, see here my prayer journal entry on 11th October 2005;
“Lord, thank you for the opportunities you have given us. Although we often find it very hard, we realize we are blessed and find fulfillment in serving you. Bless Chikankata and shape its future.”

I have, however, been guilty of regularly talking up defeat.

On the 1st June 2006 one year on and rather belatedly, I decided to stand tall, fight back and defend the name of my Lord and Chikankata Hospital.

Chikankata Health Services has many great things going on – people come from all round Zambia and indeed the world to see what’s going on at Chikankata. I love Chikankata. I love what’s going on at Chikankata Health Services, I love Chikankata’s history, I love Chikankata’s people, I love that Chikankata is Salvation Army, I love the way Chikankata strives for the best, I love that Chikankata is close to Livingstone, I love the way the cows and goats come in my garden at Chikankata, I love the way Chikankata cares. It is one of the many jewels in the Salvation Army’s crown;

Rescue the perishing, care for the dying
Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave
Weep o’er the erring one, lift up the fallen
Tell them of Jesus; the mighty to save.

Rescue the perishing, care for the dying
Jesus is merciful, Jesus will save.

With God’s help and God’s people, Chikankata has changed some harmful cultural practices, helped many communities work together, prolonged patient’s lives, cared for those who were nearing the end of their days, brought hope to families, looked after its orphans and vulnerable children, given nourishments and skills to its inhabitants and brought people to a knowledge of the Big Man’s salvation. Isaiah 55 v 10-11 talks about the amazing workings and success of God’s work. We need to remember the positives, keep the faith and value the challenges.

Dr. Calvert, a former Chief Medical Officer of Chikankata, once wrote to me that he had taken away from Chikankata far more than he had given. As a look back over the last year, I wouldn’t have changed it for a minute. Yes, I have faced many trials, many difficult situations but I have also had some tremendous opportunities and experiences. Most importantly I have also come to know the presence and power of the Big Man. After all God has proved he can take men through the fire, he can take men out of the lion’s den, and he can unlock prison doors. He is doing good things through the staff at Chikankata Health Services. I thank God for Chikankata and The Salvation Army and praise God for his amazing power.

Biblical Truth: Romans 8: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, I who have been called according to his purpose”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring