Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

BROWN SAUCE FOR A FIVER!
Today has been an all together better day. Excuse my whinge of yesterday. Duncan "Deacon" P from UK THQ has given me some good news and a proposal for a research grant has been accepted. From the start of July, Chikankata HIV/AIDS Clinic will be studying adherence to treatment issues for our patients when taking their Anti-Retroviral Drugs. It's in conjunction with Michigan State University, who have done previous research on epilepsy here at Chik. I think building partnerships with some of these European / American Universities is one way that Chikankata can become self sufficient. In the last 6 months we have signed agreements with Boston University and now Michigan State. It professionally challenging and interesting for us and also gives us a bit of cash.
At present we have over 770 patients on ARV's. HIV/AIDS is very much in focus but alcohol is becoming a real problem here, especially with the young people. Sad really, but this is a hidden ill of this community and today I resolved to try and investigate how best to tackle it.
Tickets booked for coming home for Christmas - I'll be able to take my rightful place as Principal Trombone and Acting Deputy Bandmaster for the Poplar Tabernacle Band, whilst at the same time whipping Garry's ass at wrong note chicken. Although Garry did beat me at water key chicken - I'm still laughing at that now, man - the bubbling all the way through "Have yourself a merry Christmas". Anyway, I digress - I am really looking forward to coming home and seeing everyone and eating a sausage supper and can of Irn Bru. They're not available in Zambia, although you can now buy a bottle of brown sauce in Lusaka for a fiver.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring