Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I think I might be suffering from post parents-visit depression. Both Heidie and my parents have visited in April / May along with my little sis Clare, over lapping by a couple of days. We had a great time with them both, although I was a bit narked that whilst planning days off at Chik, this proved impossible.
However when we left the Mission, it was great. We visited South Luangwa with Heidie's mum and dad to do a fantastic safari. I was literally within touching distance of the lions, man! My Asda (George) safari hat did me well and my new binoculars came in handy. With my mum and dad we nipped over the border to Botswana for the day, visiting Chobe National Park - no lions but so many elephants! One a side about this trip was that thinking I might get a bit snottery due to the early morning wake up (it's a man thing) I picked up a what I thought was a nice white hankerchief, only to discover that this was not the case. I wondered how many others guys were riding on safari with a pair of their wife's knickers in their pocket.

Both parents went to Livingstone, and we did the helicopter ride. Fantastic. Zambia is truly a two tier country. South Luangwa and Livingstone town could not be further away from Chikankata in many many senses. A visit to us let's you see both sides and the parents seemed to leave satisfied, having had a great time. We'll miss them terribly though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring