Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006


REFLECTIONS on 1 YEAR (and 1 month) at CHIKANKATA.
– 5 entries to come – oh yes!

Those who are mainly engaged with the spiritual also engage with the practical, and those who are serving in practical ways - do not forget the spiritual dimension. Holding the spiritual and practical aspects together is a hallmark of The Salvation Army.
General, Shaw Clifton (paraphrased).

I have found myself in an unusual situation. It may seem from reading the next five entries that I am the big boss of Chikankata. I am not. Chikankata Health Service has a Chief Medical Officer (see the pitcture of me, the Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Kaile), the newly appointed tribal chief Chief Mweenda (Mrs Kalichi) and the real Chief (Mrs Bradbury). He is a respected doctor and lecturer, based in Lusaka and his role here is largely as a consultant – he comes to Chikankata Hospital two afternoons a week for approximately 3 hours. That means that much of the day to day running and organization falls on me. This has propelled me, or rather dragged me, into the role of a leader. This is an unexpected challenge for me in itself and has not been through personal choice or request. President Roosevelt wrote to a reluctant appointee in a difficult situation; “Do whatever you can, wherever you are, with whatever you have”. It may not be a fancy management principle, it may not find itself as a maxim in leadership text books but it’s blooming good advice.

I am reassured that in the Bible, God called some of the most hopeless, hapless people, put them in places they didn’t expect to be and used them to great effect. This has been my hope. On many occasions I have felt so far out of my depth that only a lifeboat could save me. God has proved faithful and seen me through many difficult situations and given me some amazing experiences. Here’s my testimony and reflections of the last year or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring