Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Monday, July 10, 2006

PEOPLE at CHIKANKATA

I have met so many local people at Chikankata over the past year or so. There is a lot of character and a lot of characters at Chikankata and its many surrounding villages. I wish I could tell you about all of them, here’s a few;

I have met people like Mr. Mweene at Mukwela. We talk at lot about ‘community’ in The Salvation Army. If you want to see real community in action – take a trip to Mukwela – you’ll find Benson Mweene at the centre of it. He is a role-model

I have met people like Mr. Mwiinga – Headman of Kooma village. On old man, who is always at the hospital because he has bad arthritis. Whenever he sees me, he never moans about his ailment but always gives me a positive reflection of the changes at the Hospital. He is an encourager

I have met people like Jericho – everyone who meets Jericho knows about his passion. They are visibly touched and attracted to his enthusiasm and his faith. His love of the Big Man and The Salvation Army become infectious. He is an evangelist

I have met people like Majors Milambo (R) – Hampande village. This couple are retired Salvation Army officers in Zambia (there are not so many retired people, as people rarely reach the age of 55). They live in an African hut; they have next to no money. What they do have is character and heart. In their house they have 18 orphans living with them. EIGHTEEN! With the help of the community, Chikankata and some sponsors (such as Worthing Corps) they have sent more than half of them to school (a significant achievement) and look after them as best they can, day in – day out! They are shepherds.

I have people like Mr. Kalichi – Headmaster at Chikankata High School, who retires this year. He has kept the educational standards and the Salvation Army principles consistently high, despite many difficulties. To do this in the public service in Zambia, believe me, is a significant experience. I cannot emphasize this enough. He remains faithful, cheerful and committed to the end of his professional career. I am seriously going to suggest that he should be admitted to the Order of the Founder or some sort of certificate for exceptional service. He is a Salvation Army legend and a faithful soldier.

I have met people like Martin – my accountant. A quiet man who has worked so hard with me to sort out many of the financial issues. Behind his quietly spoken approach is a strong, principled character. An unsung hero, whose contribution to Chikankata in the last year has been vital. He deserves more credit that he gets. He is a friend.

I have met people like Captain Austin from Hapiku, who cycled about 40 kms (round trip 80km – 50 miles) just to visit me in my office to see if I could lend him 40 pounds so that four children in their church could complete either grade 9 or grade 12. He asked for a loan, saying when the harvest came, he would sell some maize to pay me back. There’s a man who cares for his flock. How could I refuse to give him the money? (in the end I persuade Heidie's mum and dad to cough up!) Would I be prepared to cycle 50 miles for my friends in nothing more than hope? He is a believer.

I have met people like Heidie - OK I knew Heidie before I came to Chikankata, after all she is my wife. She has been unfailing in her support and love for me, often at the expense of her own work and calling. Despite her understandable annoyance at constantly being referred to as “the wife” or “Mrs. Richard”, Heidie has maintained her own job, made her own mark but also helped me immeasurably. She has shared all the experiences with me – the good and the bad. She has a good word and smile for every occasion. She is my soul mate and I love her deeply

I have met people like Capt. Angela – a truly amazing woman, who tells it how it is. She has been my counsel and has helped and supported me more than she will ever realize. A women of God, committed with all her heart to the Big Man, the Salvation Army, Chikankata and the communities. She joins three women, outside my immediate family, who have a special place in my heart – Beverley, Lisa and Mary. In August, Captain Angela and her husband, Brighton, move to London to take up appointments at IHQ. They are the first officers from Zambia to be called outside the surrounding countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Zambia is now sending missionaries to the UK. Please pray for them and to all my friends in the South of England – please look after them, they are good people. We will miss them terribly here but we believe God has great things in store for them. She is a visionary and a counselor.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

and they all met you!

11:42 pm

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I have friends who are coming to Chikankata in a few weeks with the Salvation Army ZIM project - Joey, Brendan, Joe and Al (all 4 go to my church here in Calgary, Alberta).

4:39 pm

 
Blogger Nathan said...

I am really grateful that you have taken the time to maintain this blog. It is really awesome to hear some familiar names - the Hatchitapikas and Kalichis used to be neighbours, and Jericho Milambo used to teach me music. I grew up at Chikankata some years ago (1989 - 1996) and only know very few of the other people you mention. Please pass on greetings to the people I mentioned if you can (even though they may not remember me).

Nathan Eichler

3:25 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring