Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Monday, June 26, 2006

So yesterday I had to call the police to attend to an emergency situation at the hospital. Everything was going in fine until they told me if I wanted to police to come I would have to come and pick them up from Mazabuka (45 miles each way!).
Also last week a couple from Australia (the Weymouths) arrived in Chikankata for a 3 year stint. They seem like a really nice couple and I have enjoyed winding them up immensely. Having been on the Mission as the only white man for the past year or so, I am looking forward to a bit of male company, a bit of masculine conversation, some deep intellectual bonding. So the first session is planned for tonight - I've been challenged to a game of Guess Who?
Tomorrow I set off for Malawi. I am attending two meetings at the Hospital and Laboratory in Blantyre and I am driving the 14 hour journey. I will spend the weekend and bank holiday Monday with General Burrows (not really a General and not Eva! - Rachel's mum and dad) before returning to Chik on Tuesday. Heidie flew to Garbarone in Botswana yesterday as a guest of RATN on a training course. What an African adventure this week should be.
This last week we have had a group of Americans here from USA West Territory. We had a great time here and enjoyed taking the Michael Caine out of their accents all the tijme - it was all done in good spirits. One of them sounded like Marge Simpson and one sounded like the guy in Starsky and Hutch - DO IT! They seemed to have had a great time having visited Godson farm, Nameembo, Nanzele and Mukwela, as well as spending time in the Mission. Even though it's hard work - we always enjoy having groups.
Finally, I know I said I was going to post a few things regarding our one year stay here but I got bored of them myself so decided to press on with the regularly updates from Chik. Note to self: Don't be so boring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I spent 3 weeks in Chikankata in 2004 and I can't wait to go back - I would live there if I could! I just came across your blog and I wanted to wish you many blessings as you continue your work there!

8:41 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring