Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006


Things are on the move. Yesterday I bought the timber (2"x6" 5.1m - 155 planks plus the Purlin as well) as well as 320kgs of nails for the roof of one of the construction projects - I am getting right into this building lark. I can hear all my friends laughing given my previous efforts at DIY. At present, I am in charge of logistics, which is a major task in itself (I am not actually doing any of the building work myself). Things are moving well and should be finished in September. The building above is part of a 12 room hostel for the Male Students at the Nursing School.
We have been really grateful for the assistance both practical and financial we have received from the ZIM Team. One of the 3 projects they are starting for us, they are really getting us out of a tight spot (long story!). We are also enjoying their company and spending time with them. They are a great bunch of people. Yesterday I was in Lusaka with Joe all day and we had some really good chats. Joe's a grafter and I really appreciated his take on things.
I am seriously thinking of building my own house or renovating when I get back (although I'll need to get a few of the boys to help!)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Smiths said...

Build your own house? Yeah right! If I come round for tea, can we sit in the garden please?

12:31 pm

 
Blogger Rochelle said...

Wow! Things are moving along. It was cool to see this photo. Please say hi to the team for us (and give Bram & Anita a hug!) Thanks. :)

9:14 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring