Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Friday, September 15, 2006

So mummy's brave little soldier put aside his severe malaria to venture into Lusaka yesterday. I was attending a meeting at the US Embassy where I was Chikankata's "Chief of Party" on the "SO7 team". God bless America! I was nearly transferred to the SO9 team but managed to stay put with SO7! I felt like I was in some sort of Hollywood movie, like SWAT ot something, and I was very excited. Unfortunately whilst the meeting was informative and important, being a Chief of Party on the SO7 it didn't quite mactch my expectations. Talking about Family Planning and Child Survival is unlikely to ever make it the big screen.

Then I had the most excrutiating afternoon. It took me the best part of two and a half hours to buy a new fridge freezer for the newly arrived ex-pats. It was not good for my malaria. TWO AND A HALF HOURS! FOR A FRIDGE! Sometimes (most times) doing business in Zambia is slow and this is a major area that needs to improve if Zambia is to improve. However it was nice to bump into Mike and Sue, owners of a nearby farm, in the same shop. They have been good to Heidie and I over the last year and have helped and supported up tremendously (as well as cooking fantastic meals!)

In the evening we had rehearsals for the Graduation Day for the School of Nursing and Midwifery, which is today 15th September. 30 nurses and 15 midwives will graduation - it really is a great day! Last evening everyone was so excited, and although my knee joints were very sore (I have malaria you know!) Chikankata's Chief of Party was able to march in behind the Zambian flag. I will post some pictures of the ceremony in the next couple days!

Over and out!

1 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

When you say Mike and Sue, do you mean Mike and Sue Arnold from Simonga farm? (Boy it is good to here another name I know!!!) I went to school with Nick and Natalie (?) - would be interested to know what they're up to...

Do you know many of the other farmers in the district? I would be interested to know if these people are still around - Frank + Jill Green, Ian + Noeleen Parsons, Paul + Nicky Cummings, Richie + Debbie Peters, Collett's, Getti's (Sp.?)...

Nathan
Nathan.Eichler.1@uni.massey.ac.nz

1:45 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring