Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Yesterday I saw something that will trouble me for a very long time. I saw a young mother, one of our own midwives from the Hospital, screaming as she walked up the street. She was absolutely ditraught. Behind her was a young man carrying her daughter. The 13 year old girl had just died. Her head was covered with a small peice of cloth but the rest of her body her limply hung down as the young man struggled to carry her. We felt so helpless as she brought the body the few metres from her house to the hospital. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for our dear midwife to lose her only child.
Last evening we gathered at the funeral house. Heidie sat on the floor, inside the house with the women, I sat round the fire with the men outside, as is the local tradition. I was very touched as first the High School choir and then later the Student Nurses came. They said nothing. They just sang. Then they left. It was very moving. I realised one of the real benefits of a Salvation Army running a Hospital in Rural Zambia.
Tommorrow we gather for the funeral and the burial. Please pray for the midwife and please pray for the staff at Hospital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring