Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

SIX PEOPLE WHO HAVE INSPIRED AND ENCOURAGED ME THIS WEEK………

1. Clark Baim was one of my bosses from the Home Office (NPD) and most of all he is my friend. This week past marked Clark’s birthday. He is one of the most generous, kind and caring men I know. We used to travel all over the country together, along with Mary (who is also very special to me). Man, we used to laugh a lot but I am realising how much I learnt from Clark and Mary. This week I had a lengthy conversation with Chabota in English. This time last year Chabota could only sing the alphabet in English. Clark pays for Chabota to go to school, amongst other things. By giving Chabota a chance with education, he has given her a chance to escape a life in poverty. Clark has no affiliation whatsoever with The Salvation Army or the church but gives so much to Chikankata, through his words, his attitude and his money. Why? Because he can and because he cares! He is great man.

2. Mike and Sue are commercial farmers who live about 30 minutes from Chikankata. They have encouraged me and Heidie so much just by their hospitality and care towards us. They have listened to us, offered advice and given us a place to escape to. Mike and Sue are like our Zambian parents and they will really never know just how much they have helped us, especially during the most difficult times. They are such a lovely couple who enjoy each others company. Sue is always smiling and a fantastic cook. Mike is a very funny man, who loves his whisky. They are kind hearted and generous people who make a great couple.

3. Gretchen is a doctor / professor from Michigan State University. She has achieved so much with her life and yet has a lovely down to earth personality. I love the way she has a real heart for Chikankata and really cares for the people. She comes here for about 4 months each year. Gretchen has brought a lot of development, help and profile to Chikankata Hospital. She has been a real source of help and encouragement to us by including the Hospital and also Heidie and me in many different things when she really didn’t really need too. She is extremely clever, extremely humble and an extremely thoughtful person.

4. Brian Houston I have never met. He is the pastor of the Hillsong Church in Australia. Every Sunday we are able to listen to his message on Zambian TV. Apparently his parents were Salvation Army officers. Pastor Houston’s words are always an encouragement to us. He’s humble, interesting and inspiring and he always uplifts our spirit. He often reminds us of our mission and our responsibilities. Brian Houston has a heart for the poor and is able to put that in the context of a Christian life. I like that and, though he does not know and probably never will, he has helped change (and improve) my perspective, attitudes and behaviour on many things. He is an inspiration and a pastor.

5. Lt-Colonel Rader regularly visits Chikankata. He is a retired officer in the Salvation Army. He always has a kind word to say to us and continually reassures us. What I like about the Colonel is his passion for his mission. He has had a real lifelong ambition for a particular kind of Kingdom work and now, in his retirement, he is helping this take shape and become a reality through the creation of Chikankata Community Radio. I also like that he is so open; he has told us about his life, the things he has done well, the times when he has made mistakes, what his beliefs and feelings are and so on. He is an open and committed man.

6. Heidie is my wife. On Monday she hits the big 3.0. She is my blessing and I am so grateful I met her and married her. It’s great to share your life with someone who wants the same things as you and who cares about the same things. She is compassionate and has a real way of connecting with people. I love the way she is so positive, I love the way she smiles and I love the way she encourages and just cares for the people here. In fact, I love her to absolute bits!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah says... said...

Dear Richard and Heidie,
Great to read your blog - especially this last entry as it reminds me of your first few conversations together here in Latvia! Happy Birthday Heidie!
love from Sarah, Aivis and Josh

8:23 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Richard and Heidie,

Praise God! While investigating some new Web 2.0 tools I happenned upon your blog. My wife, Catherine, and I served at Chikankata from 1982-1985 having our first daughter there. Your stories and pictures reminded me so much of our own experience (except for the internet connection). I particularly got a big kick out of the welcome the Zambians gave your wife as you returned from the UK. It was a true complement to a woman to be declared fat.

I wrote up some of our Chikankata experience and posted them on our website which you can find at http://www.acmitch.net/almitch/zambia.htm

Yours in Christ,
Allan Mitch
allanmitch at patmedia dot com

7:03 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring