Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007



Last week I was a real life Mr. Topsy Turvy. On Monday and Tuesday I attended a conference for Directors of Christian Healthcare Institutions in Zambia. Whilst it was a very interesting and worthwhile experience in terms of increasing my knowledge, I came away with a bit of a dent in my own confidence and severely questioning my abilities in my job. The main problem is that I find it hard to think on my feet and I am not very organised – two things that are essential qualities of a manager / administrator of a hospital. I need time, man!

Wednesday, I finished the Annual Review for 2006, which was an achievement in itself. It was a good document and made me realise that despite all the difficulties, Chikankata Hospital has achieved so much in one year. I honestly believe that somehow the Big Man’s hand is on this place, as given our financial woes and lack of income - the management and staff has managed to do so much. It’s difficult to explain how.

Then on Thursday and Friday we had a whirlwind trip to Livingstone with Bengt and Goran (I’ll tell you about them in a minute). No matter how many times I go to Livingstone and the Victoria Falls, I am always amazed at its beauty. As one of the seven natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls are truly magnificent and surrounding wildlife is impressive too. We stayed in the place for less that 24 hours and we managed to see hippos, crocs, elephants, warthogs, buffalo, wilderbeest, giraffes, impala, and rhinos. Not bad really.

Bengt and Goran are two engineers who have been staying with us for a week. They are Swedish and came to install some second hand autoclaves sent to us courtesy of Arne Norberg and the Swedish Salvation Army. Bengt and Goran are engineers in Swedish army (military not Salvation). They are very kind, down-to-earth and funny guys. They basically use some of their holidays to come and sort out stuff for us here at Chikankata. This is their second visit to Chik and a bonus for us because they fix everything that’s faulty in our house. They are an example of the great help that Chikankata gets from all kinds of places and the many fantastic people we get to meet. We are always grateful! Big it up for Bengt and Goran!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring