Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Good day yesterday for three reasons!

1. I met with our local Member of Parliament. I was very impressed by him. He's a local man and I really sensed his heart was for the people of the Chikankata Constituency. I got into a little bit of trouble at the start from the local Councillor who accompanied him (apparently you're not supposed to phone the MP at home in the evening - there are protocols to be followed - oops!). However, we had a very constructive meeting together and I felt he really listened to me

2. Spent the evening in the village in Nanzele with the Canadian Nursing students and some of our own Nursing Students. I felt very old. We watched the sun go down and then waited as the sky began to light up with millions of stars. Chikankata in the night is a beautiful site. At the end of a great time of fellowship, it was very poignant and fitting that we were able to sing these words;

O Lord my God, when I in aweson wonder, Consider all the worlds thy hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee: How Great Thou art! How Great Thou art!

3. My first true love, the mighty St. Mirren from Paisley managed to avoid relegation from the Scottish Premier League. A magnificant acheivement given the resources available to them. Normally a yo-yo team, (ie they come up and go straight back down) this is the first time in nearly 20 years (now I am feeling very old!) they have managed to survive a season in the Premier League. Along with Partick Thistle, Saints are usually the butt of Scottish football jokes ( yes we know everyone thinks we are called St. Mirren Nil!) so it was a nice feeling. C'mon thi Buddies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring