Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Friday, June 29, 2007

The Great Provider
This is a little story that warmed the cockles of my heart.
On Wednesday we received a visit from our electricity company. Despite that fact that we have managed to reduce our electricity bill substantially from the huge (and I mean mammoth) bill we found - they were still pressuring us to pay something. The local guys have been really good with us but they were also being hassled by their bosses in Lusaka. They were talking about cutting us off, which is something we have managed to avoid the whole time we have been here (although I hear it was a fairly common occurance previously).
Anyway, I spent the night on Wednesday thinking about what to do. I prayed about it on Thursday morning and then took the decision to "borrow" some money from another pot (ie Robbing Peter to pay Paul) on my knowledge that I could get in back from another source in future. This is something I have not done the whole time I have been here but drastic situations require drastic measures! We are not talking small amounts here - we are talking 5000 pounds.
So at 15.30 with a heavy heart I signed the cheque authorising the payment. At 17.30 I was handed a cheque by a visitor for the exact and I mean the exact same amount of money I had just borrowed.
Make of that what you will but I know what I am making of it! I thank God everyday for His continued provision to this hospital and I thank God for the kindness of so many people around the world. Without God' Hand and with these people this hospital would not survive.
I once talked to a lady in a village outside Chikankata. I asked her what her hopes were for the future. She replied that she hoped that there would be a cure found for HIV/AIDS but most of all her hope was in Jesus Christ and the Hospital represented a big part of that hope. So to all who have helped us through prayers, gifts, donations, sponsorship, supplies - thank you for bringing hope to our people!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Smiths said...

Wow!

(That's all I've got to say on the matter!)

7:47 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring