Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Because I can!

I am writing this post not because I have anything really interesting to say but because this is the first time in almost two weeks that we have had electricity in the evening. I wanted to post this photo, which is one of my favourites. It epitomises what Chikankata stands for and recognises that people who visit our hospital have a range of needs that require our care. We are not a one-dimensional institution. One of my favourite books at the moment is Authentic Christianity, which is excerps from the writings of John Stott;
"In the ministry of Jesus words and works, gospel preaching and compassionate service went hand in hand. His works expressed his words and his words explained his works. It should be the same for us. Words are abstract they need to be embodied in deeds of love. Work are ambiguous, they need to be interpreted by the proclamation of the gospel. Keep words and works together in the service of the church."
Getting back to where I started, I do not know what is going on with the Zambian Electricity Supply Company (ZESCO) but quite frankly I would like to.... anyway best stop there in case my mum reads this! Needless to say having only a few hours of electricity has put a huge strain on the hospital. Last month we had to pay out almost $10,000 on generator fuel alone. We had not budgeted for this and are struggling to keep on top of things. However, my experience continues to be that God is faithful and that this hospital survives and thrives by His grace. It's a miracle really and I for one am persuaded.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I must say I'm touched after reading your blog, especially that I have an idea of how Chix is like. Its amazing to see the hand of God in working and serving Him, there's always a sense of accomplishment in doing that kind of work and time spent in it is more valuable than time spent chasing after earthly gains.
We continue to pray for you and trust that The Lord will continue to richly bless that work in Chix even in this new year. Happy new year Richy and Heidie, and wish you God's Rich Blessings.

Stephen.

9:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring