Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

RANDOM THOUGHTS

I have been back in the UK for a month and so much has happened. We have had a great time so far and have been flying all over the place. It has been great to spend time with family and friends and spend time reflecting on our experience and what the future holds. Here are a few random thoughts.

1. Two worlds – that’s what I am living in. At the moment there is just no point in trying to compare or get my head round things, so I haven’t even bothered. Not sure if this is right or not but it’s the only way for me at the moment.

2. Back in the UK, the words ‘broken society’ are now used with worrying regularity in the media and politics. Knifes, crime and immigration seem to be being offered as the catalyst. However it must be that all the people involved in these activities are looking for something and it worries me that some places and things will give people more love and excitement than a church or Army corps will. The problem is theirs but the problem is also ours.

3. I recently listened to a study on Exodus on the iPod and couldn’t help compare Egypt to modern Western Society. It highlighted that sin on a personal and relationship level had become so embedded in society that it had become systemic. It also seems that when people only care about their own situation, injustice becomes systemic too. Has sin, discrimination and injustice in our society become systemic? I don’t really think so but the alert signs are there.

4. I am working in Chikankata Hospital not because I want to save the world but because I want to save myself. Saving myself from indifference, from complacency and from being part of the injustices in the world. I am doing this because I don’t want my attitudes and my soul to become hard and selfish. I am doing this because I want to help. I am doing this because I can! A defining moment in my life happened at Chikankata, when I was at my lowest, a Christian doctor and his wife, who had worked in Africa for many years took me and Heidie away as they were worried about. At one point, I said to Eunice why I am I doing this. Without hesitating she said to me – “Because you love Jesus!”. That’s why I am doing this.

5. It is extremely paradoxical to me that many of the people in Zambia aspire to live in a country based on western society and values when they got it right in terms of living in true community. Admist all their suffering, there is a sense of joy and contentment that is sadly missing in modern UK society.

6. I love The Salvation Army. At its best, I have seen in Chikankata the kind of church that Jesus had in mind – living, suffering and celebrating together. We have seen the damage that division and hatred cause within church and a small community. Whatever, community has been at the heart of all that takes place in Chikankata. Much comes down to a sense of responsibility, hearing the cry of those in need and answering the call.

7. God continues to be faithful - I guess he always has been and always will be. It’s up to us to continue to trust.

TO BE CONTINUED.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah says... said...

Never written a comment here before... but have been reading your blog for a long time! Always great to read your thoughts...

7:01 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring