Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

THERE IS POWER...... (Not here)
I really hope Scotland and Denmark qualify for the World Cup in South Africa in 2010 because right now it’s getting some of the blame from the Zambia government for the ongoing electricity problems. Currently we have about one or two hours of electricity per day. As you can imagine trying to run a hospital without electricity (and as a result, water) is pretty interesting. Fortunately we do have a generator. Unfortunately, it’s very old and very expensive. However we are doing the best we can, having been reminded that there are people in the world worse off than us. We have become pretty good at cooking on charcoals too. My specialty is bacon and eggs, Heidie can somehow manage to cook the sauce and the pasta in the same pan at the same time.

On the plus side, I am reading more than ever before and this week I have read a biography on Mugabe. I have very mixed feelings about that whole situation. This weekend Zimbabwe becomes the largest SA territory in the world as a result of the move to split Kenya from one to two territories. Last week we said farewell to our TC here who will take up the reigns there. I sat through two farewell meetings in Mazabuka and Lusaka, which lasted for a combined time of ten and a half hours!

Luke is now eating solid foods and loves prunes and bannanas. It is making life very interesting!


I have spent the weekend in Livingstone. I had a meeting at the Provincial Health Office on Friday and decided to stay until Sunday, mainly so we can get a flaming shower with some decent water. Once again we had a great time. The Victoria Falls never cease to amaze me. The great thing about the Falls it is quite unspoilt. It would be possible to drive past the entrance if you didn’t know where you were going, as it is really under commercialized. People from the West would have an absolute fit about the health and safety issues. But it’s rawness appeals to me and I am always reminded that Zambian country is rich in the beauty of it’s people, landscape and wildlife. Luke enjoyed morning coffee at the 5 star Royal Livingstone - I am bit worried he is getting a taste for the high living, which will of course please his Uncle Kevin!




Finally Happy Mother’s Day to my mum and my wife (I am actually typing it is Mother’s Day – although I am typing by candlelight but probably won’t be able to post for sometime given the issues mentioned above). Heidie is just doing brilliant. I am really proud of her. It is not easy to bring up a child with a number of obstacles including no water and frequent interruptions of electricity (this morning she got up at 4.30am just to prepare food and wash bottles etc), but she is just the best.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marta Ager said...

God Bless You Richly in Chikankata!

2:31 am

 
Blogger Kenyan Destiny said...

Bless you both
We had the women's world day of prayer in Wellington - Somerset - today and your Mum was speaking.What a blessings. Saw pictures of your beautiful boy. What is interesting is that my sister was the first white child to be born at Chikankata. My parents - both officers - went out with me when I was six - and four years later Alison was born. My Dad went out to install the electrical plant at the Hospital. (1950) So it was very exciting speaking to your Mum today.

6:17 pm

 
Blogger jsi said...

With sporadic electricity, I can only imagine it causes you to be ready and willing at any time of day to be ready to get to use the privilege of the small amount of electricity available.
It has to be a giant obstacle, but one, which you describe, which hasn't prevented you from being creative, from thriving, from having deep happiness and joy.

Your son is absolutely thriving - what an incredible smile he has for you!

If I was cooking over charcoals, bacon and eggs would be a treat!

I want to see the Falls someday.

I am praying for you and your ministry and your family, as you offer hope, encouragement and health to those around you that they will reflect the joy of God's love and share encouragement for you.

God is great, deep in love and mercy and slow to anger.

4:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring