Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Friday, February 08, 2008

"My Friend, Bwana, Mr. Richard"
Today I was woken at 5.45am with someone at the door telling me that my friend Nathan had died. It made me very sad. Nathan used to always address me in a very loud voice, the same way every time he saw me; "My friend, Bwana, Mr. Richard" befor proceding to talk to me. Bwana means boss in Tonga. It will be one of those things we remember about Chikankata.
Nathan was a psychiatric patient but a man of great intelligence. Heidie and I 'look after' a number of waifs and strays one way or another, usually with food or soap or clothes. The services for patients with mental health problems in Zambia is poor so most are managed by local hospitals and community members as best they can. But Zambians are not so politically correct when it comes to such issues and he often got a hard time.
Nathan would come and sit outside our house and we would give him some food and he was always so grateful. Always dirty, always carrying bags, more oftent than not shouting, Nathan would make us laugh alot. One time I gave him a big bag of clothes including a pair of boxer shorts. The next day I see him wearing every single item of clothing I had given him and the boxers were over his trousers. He also talked alot about Major Young who had obviously had a great influence on him.
I have been so touched by how so many people have approached me this morning and have referred to Nathan as my friend. Nathan was my friend and I was proud to have known him. I went this morning in my car to pick his body and bring it to the hospital and I had a deep sense of sadness but a real feeling of joy that at least for this man he is now at peace and will be shouting and making the people upstairs laugh.
Rest in Peace, my friend.

1 Comments:

Blogger jsi said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
It is a privilege to hear the name friend, and it is a sadness to lose one.

5:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring