Charlie Chikankata has a lot to answer for! Here I am in the heart of rural Zambia, working for The Salvation Army as the Manager/Hospital Administrator of Chikankata Health Services. Not so much an intellectuall reflection rather a kind of journal of the unexpected.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

HARVEST FESTIVAL

In this period in the UK and the western world, many of the churches are focusing on Harvest Festival. I have been reading and listening to various excerpts on Leviticus 19 (and in particular v9&10). It seems that the Old T. Law made it clear in this passage that we are to give a portion of the harvest, (whether good or bad) to the poor. The margins of our fields as supposed to be left for the poor to harvest each year. I have thought about the times in my life where I have not left any room in my fields or my finances for giving a portion to the poor. This is not because I can’t, it is because I chose other options instead. I do not leave any room in my finances to leave money to the poor

From my experiences, the poor are some of the hardest working people in the world –they have to be in order to eat or send their children to school. I am working less and earning more but not showing how blessed I am by giving a portion back to those in need. I choose an extra CD or a book or a meal out, when often they are things I don’t really need. The marginal things; things that make the margins of my field smaller for the poor to harvest. I am rethinking this as a result.

I also think about the times I just give money or things to people. Without sounding self-righteous, I have always believed that giving money means nothing, if the poor people in our area, in our community, in our church don’t even know who we are. A sacrificial offering, which as a Christian I am supposed to give is something I have to invest time and effort in, a donation I just give without thinking or getting involved. Paul Scanlon wrote that “Christian are God’s compensation for the poor in the world we live in”. What kind of compensation I am?


All good gifts around us
Are sent from heaven above
So thank the Lord, thank the Lord
For all his love.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bella said...

Hello Charlie. Am a Zambian in the US and I find the work you are doing in Chikankata very touching. I have an interest in one day working in Zambia to help the country's health. When I wake up in a few hours I will read as much about Chikankata and the work you are doing there on the web. Stay Blessed.

9:13 am

 
Blogger Major Glad Ljungholm said...

Your blog is featured in our corps' blog this month.

As we celebrate God's abundance later this week during our Harvest Ingathering with the corps family we will remember you in prayer, and in the words of a Swedish SA prayer chorus, "Meet you at the Mercy Seat".

Greetings and many blessings, THE EXETER TEMPLE CORPS, UKT
Major Glad Ljungholm

8:04 am

 
Blogger Major Glad Ljungholm said...

www.saexeter.blogspot.com

8:05 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring